this book releases tomorrow...i'll offer a quick recap from the publisher and some of the most powerful statements from it below.
first, let me say that this book is going to be difficult to 'classify' - it's somewhat fiction, somewhat non-fiction, somewhat business, somewhat spiritual - it's a story, so it is mostly conversational - the wisdom that you find in it is remarkable.
here's the copy from the publisher...
A moving story of common wisdom from the bestselling author of The Traveler’s Gift.
Orange Beach, Alabama is a simple town filled with simple people. But they all have their share of problems – marriages teetering on the brink of divorce, young adults giving up on life, business people on the verge of bankruptcy, and many of the other obstacles that life seems to dish out to the masses.
Fortunately, when things look the darkest – a mysterious old man named Jones has a miraculous way of showing up. Communicating what he calls “a little perspective,” Jones explains that he has been given a gift of noticing things that others miss. In his simple interactions, Jones speaks to that part in everyone that is yearning to understand why things happen and what they can do about it.
Based on a remarkable true story, The Noticer beautifully blends fiction, allegory, and inspiration.
- "...experience is not the best teacher. Other people's experience is the best teacher." (p.9)
- "...whatever you focus upon, increases." (p.13)
- "Ask yourself this question, 'What is it about me that other people would change if they could?'" (p.15)
- "A successful life has a great deal to do with perspective" (p.15)
- "A best friend will tell you the truth...and a wise best friend will include a healthy dose of perspective." (p.30)
- "...all lives-are either in crisis, coming out of a criss, or headed for a crisis" (p.31)
- "It's time to stop letting your history control your destiny" (p.51)
- "worry...fear...is just a misuse of the creative imagination that has been placed in each of us" (p.52)
- "The only thing crazier than the guy that says, 'Watch this!' is the guy that says, 'Heck, I can do that!" (p.53)
- "One way to define wisdom is the ability to see, into the future, the consequences of your choices in the present" (p.65)
- "I'd like for us to pray for some smiling faces in this church...I think more people would want to go to heaven, if they weren't afraid it'd be like church when they got there!" (p.96)
- "Change is immediate!...It may take a long time to decide to change...but change happens in a heartbeat!" (p.110)
- "people are the delivery vehicle for opportunity and encouragement" (p.133)
you can order by clicking here: The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.